my one mission:
THE SUCCESS FACTORS OF the new normal in law firms
Tectonic shifts in legal work necessitates an updated strategic map for talent management. Those who successfully navigate these unchartered waters will have a competitively bleeding edge.
I encourage law firms to join me in my mission. The specific aim of my research is to add precision and knowledge to the process of redesigning HR strategy, and the way legal work gets done in law firms, and thereby make it fully aligned with the new conditions.
Areas of my research in the new normal encompass recruiting, training, leadership, HR strategy, and gender inclusion.
Years of experience of researching and training lawyers
cups of coffee since 2005
CURRENT FACULTY POSITIONS
- Swedish Bar Association’s open CLE/CPD program: Client Psychology.
- Swedish Bar Association’s open CLE/CPD program: Efficacy and Well-Being for Lawyers.
- Swedish Bar Association’s Leadership Program: guest lecturer.
- Stockholm School of Economics (Fall 2020): Program for Leadership in Professional Services (ranked #1 in the Nordics and 16th place globally for management and leadership development by the Financial Times).
RESEARCH ON LAWYERS
- Leadership, Well-Being, Productivity, and Law Firm Service Satisfaction in Nordic Legal Teams (initiated August 2020, ongoing), quantitative and qualitative survey, in collaboration with the Stockholm School of Economics.
- Well-Being, Productivity, and Law Firm Service Satisfaction in Swedish Corporate Counsels (initiated June 2020, ongoing), quantitative and qualitative survey in collaboration with the Stockholm School of Economics.
- Leadership, Well-Being, and Productivity in 12 Business Law Firms in Four Nordic Countries under covid-19 (concluded, September 2020), in collaboration with the Stockholm School of Economics.
- Tracking Well-being in a Major Business Law Firm under covid-19 (concluded, June 2020).
- Impact of Imposed Remote Working in a Law firm due to the Covid-19 virus – a qualitative study (concluded, April 2020).
- Leadership in Professional Services (concluded September, 2020).
- The Resilient Associate Project (concluded December, 2019), study at three major business law firms.
- Research Review of the Effects of Corporate Mindfulness in Law firms in collaboration with Potential Project.
- Levelling the playing field for female lawyers in law firms and assessing stress in associates (Fall 2019, concluded).
- Quantitative assessment of stress in inhouse lawyers (2019) in collaboration with the Swedish Company Lawyers’ Association (concluded).
- International study of inhouse lawyers in collaboration with Thomson Reuters (Spring 2020): gender based patterns of stress (concluded).
- Assessing sexual harassment and discrimination based on gender at law firms firms (concluded April, 2019).
- National study of Swedish lawyers: stress and efficacy factors (2017, concluded) in collaboration with the Swedish Bar Association.
- National study of Swedish lawyers: stress and efficacy factors (2005, concluded) in collaboration with the Swedish Bar Association.
The Finnish Bar Association has agreed to participate in the Spring survey. This will allow for important comparisons with regards with Sweden, restrictions etc.
By drawing upon the previous national surveys on Swedish lawyers that Jens Näsström conducted in 2005 and 2017, this survey will provide a very important addition to this unique longitudinal study. It will dovetail with the pandemic specific hybrid work research and...
The survey of Swedish law students in collaboration with the national law student organization JURO is now live. This survey ties in with the law firm surveys and provides a very important tracing of well-being levels and driving factors across the entire career arc....
Oh wow. I have enjoyed great and truly rewarding conversations on well-being and performance with my great friend Jason Beck in Spain, the Netherlands, and the U.S. in the context of Potential Project. This time it was online – and recorded (and edited)....
Before we are diving into the new survey in May, I and Malin Nyman wanted to summarize some of the conclusions from our research this past year. You can download the white paper “Challenges and Opportunities in Work-Life in Law Firms 2021 – a Research-Driven...
In May 2020 I (together with Malin Nyman) launched a study of twelve law firms under the pandemic. This year, we are expanding the scope of the research considerably, by including law students and inviting bar associations. To make it easier for participating...
Actually, I am going to quote – at length – an Amazon review of this book, which much more eloquently than I could describes the value of this book for a 'legal reader.' The review comes from the audiobook version. Required reading for corp Legal & Finance I'm...
Cynism är en respons på en alltför krävande situation, där man – omedvetet och spontant – sänker sitt engagemang i relationer och arbetsinsats. Vanligtvis brukar den grupp som har högst utmattning också uppvisa högst cynism, men här ser vi en avvikelse eftersom...
I mina nationella studier av advokater så har jag använt Maslach Burnout Inventory - General Survey, MBI-GS, för att mäta utbrändhet och effektivitet. Den mäter tre dimensioner av utbrändhet; utmattning, cynism och effektivitet. Utmattning kan sägas vara den första...
Anekdotiskt hör jag ganska ofta att det finns skillnader i prioriteringar och värderingar mellan olika generationer av advokater – vilket jag i vanlig ordning skulle vilja undersöka i en studie... i väntan på den så kan man titta i backspegeln och se vad en studie...