Occupational psychologist Independent researcher specialized in professional services
THE SIX CRITICALS RIGHT NOW:
1) Train leaders in remote leadership. Irl leadership does not automatically translate into effective remote leadership.
2) Train everyone in self-leadership. Some suffer unnecessarily simply because they don’t know how to cope. Give staff the know-how to stay healthy and productive when working from home.
3) Monitor well-being continuously. A prolonged scenario is becoming quite likely, and no one knows how people will react long term. It is imperative to monitor well-being continuously, to catch a possible decline early on. I recommend using the psychometric WHO-5 scale.
4) Identify and support the most vulnerable members. In my research, I see smaller groups of staff whose professional development and mental health is threatened. Identify them, and support them.
5) Provide gold standard training on how to manage online meetings effectively. Meetings are very costly, tying up multiple staff members. Yet they are more important than ever, being crucial in saying connected. With the exception of leadership, no other aspect of work right now is more ‘2019’, leading to unnecessary frustration, fatigue, and underperformance.
6) Keep planning, but in smaller cycles. The ‘wait and see’ phase is over. Stay proactive and innovative. Keep the dialogue going on ideas and needs – within your own organization and with others. Encourage, firmly, a learning culture.
The way forward:
Legal Hybrid work
I am now dedicating myself full time to study – and train – legal leaders, HR, and lawyers on how to best navigate the new unknown territory of non-office based work.
Drawing upon on almost fifty in-depth interviews, and extensive data from twelve law firms in four countries, I provide a roadmap – Legal Hybrid Work – and training for these challenging times.
Uniquely Timely Research
By drawing upon data from my previous research on lawyers, which dates back to 2005, and supplementing it with new assessments, I describe the impact of covid-19, lockdown, but also identify the opportunities. This crisis does actually hold great promise, for those
Systemic Transfer of NEW Professional Knowledge
One challenge now is how to systematically capture and transfer experiences and know-how across the legal industry, with regards to how to sustain top performance in a long term perspective and with balance. This is my mission.
The ‘wait and see’ phase is over. It is time to shift from reactive to proactive, to start controlling the challenges and capitalizing on the opportunities.
By drawing upon current research and current best practices, I develop new tools, strategies, and approaches for the legal industry.
The World’s First App for Soft Skills Training of Law students & Associates
App-based training addresses new challenges and needs:
non-localized training that provides lawyer-specific training at a minimum cost.
Screen-based training that appeals to millennials
Full track records of training available – which associates are the ambitious learners and which are the stragglers?
Lawyer-specific strategies, tips, and tricks
Years of experience of researching and training lawyers
cups of coffee since 2005
Curent faculty Positions
- Swedish Bar Association’s open CLE/CPD program: Client Psychology
- Swedish Bar Association’s open CLE/CPD program: Efficacy and Well-Being for Lawyers
- Swedish Bar Association’s Leadership Program: guest lecturer
- Stockholm School of Economics (Fall 2020): Program for Leadership in Professional Services (ranked #1 in the Nordics and 16th place globally for management and leadership development by the Financial Times)
Curent MEDIA APPEARANCES
- Interview in Briefing Magazine about leadership in law firms under covid-19 (May 2020)
- Updates on research on inhouse lawyers on Practical Law (March 2020)
Tracking Well-being in a Major Business Law Firm under covid-19 (launched, April 2020)
Extended firm-wide distance working is an unprecedented change in the operations in business law firms. This study will track the continuous impact of distance working on the work force in a firm.
- IT based survey
- assessing well-being and social support, which are correlated with seniority, position, and practice group
Impact of Imposed Remote Working in a Law firm due to the Covid-19 virus – a qualitative study (concluded, April 2020)
Design of the study:
- research interviews
- broad representation of participants encompassing all positions and seniority, from associates to partners, from lawyers to support staff
- correlating findings with previous quantitative research
Leadership in Professional Services (launched May, 2020)
Despite the distinctiveness of professional service firms, very little academic research has been conducted on leadership in the sector. This study seeks to explore several under-researched aspects of this particular type of leadership.
Which leadership is most effective in leading associates in professional services?
Which leadership skills are most requested by associates?
How can leaders be trained more effectively?
What is the best leadership strategy to manage insecure overachievers?
The Resilient Associate Project (Fall 2019-)
To identify personality trait/s that accurately can predict resilience in lawyers.
Perfectionism is a prominent and important trait in both law students and lawyers, and current research differentiates between adaptive and maladaptive perfectionism. By considering this factor in recruiting the following parameters could hypothetically be substantially improved in the firm without any other intervention:
Phase I (concluded): 250+ associates in three major Swedish business law firms.
Research Review of the Effects of Corporate Mindfulness in Law firms
Evaluate outcomes of mindfulness in law firms in general, and Potential Project’s corporate mindfulness program in particular.
Levelling the playing field for female lawyers in law firms and assessing stress in associates (Fall 2019, concluded).
Identifying the factors that could explain why female company lawyers report thirty percent more stress than their male colleagues. 350+ participants in two law firms.
- Increased understanding of stress in associates.
- Decreased staff turnover among female associates.
- A model for understanding differences in stress between male and female associates
- An actionable road map for increasing the proportion of female partners in law firms.
Quantitative assessment of stress in inhouse lawyers (2019) in collaboration with the Swedish Company Lawyers’ Association (concluded).
- Analysis of surveys of 250+ corporate counsels.
International study of inhouse lawyers in collaboration with Thomson Reuters (Spring 2020): gender based patterns of stress (concluded).
- Survey to be distributed to 30.000+ in-house lawyers.
Assessing sexual harassment and discrimination based on gender in firms (Fall 2017-ongoing).
- 600+ participants.
- Developed a survey that maps harassment and discrimination based on gender in among legal workers.
- Assessed frequency and type of harassment and discrimination in Swedish law firms.
National study of Swedish lawyers: stress and efficacy factors (2017, concluded).
- 1800+ participants.
- Identified new, or underestimated factors, or efficacy and well-being: leadership and capacity for focus.
- Analyzed changes in Swedish lawyers between 2005-2017 quantitively as well qualitatively.
- Analyzed the impact of IT on lawyers in the past decade.
Actually, I am going to quote – at length – an Amazon review of this book, which much more eloquently than I could describes the value of this book for a 'legal reader.' The review comes from the audiobook version. Required reading for corp Legal & Finance I'm...
Cynism är en respons på en alltför krävande situation, där man – omedvetet och spontant – sänker sitt engagemang i relationer och arbetsinsats. Vanligtvis brukar den grupp som har högst utmattning också uppvisa högst cynism, men här ser vi en avvikelse eftersom...
I mina nationella studier av advokater så har jag använt Maslach Burnout Inventory - General Survey, MBI-GS, för att mäta utbrändhet och effektivitet. Den mäter tre dimensioner av utbrändhet; utmattning, cynism och effektivitet. Utmattning kan sägas vara den första...
Anekdotiskt hör jag ganska ofta att det finns skillnader i prioriteringar och värderingar mellan olika generationer av advokater – vilket jag i vanlig ordning skulle vilja undersöka i en studie... i väntan på den så kan man titta i backspegeln och se vad en studie...
Podcast-tips: Think like a business person, act like a lawyer – tre intressanta frågor till bolagsjurister
I det här podcast-avsnittet tas tre frågor upp som torde vara av intresse för bolagsjurister. Den andra frågan är dessutom mycket relevant för affärsjurister på advokatbyrå: What’s the most significant way they use technology to handle their company’s legal...
I min forskning ser jag att det är en fördel ur ett stressperspektiv att arbeta på en större byrå; där finns många kollegor med expertis att rådfråga, resurser att tillföra till krävande projekt och – support- och adminpersonal. På vissa håll i branschen vet jag...
Imorgon kommer nästa nummer av Advokaten ut, i vilken jag intervjuas om bland annat skillnader i stress-nivåer mellan kvinnliga och manliga biträdande jurister på affärsjuridiska byråer. Låt oss först fastslå att stress är en substantiell utmaning generellt för...
J Kim Wright är en mycket spännande advokat med många strängar på sin lyra. Hon är framförallt intresserad av progressiva förändringar av det juridiska systemet, med ett speciellt fokus på integrative law. För två år sedan gav hon ut Lawyers as Changemakers, till...
Klientpsykologi har sedan jag började hålla kurser för advokater 2006 alltid varit ett favorittema att föreläsa. Inget annat ämne väcker en sådan resonans hos deltagarna som de erfarenheter, knivigheter, tankar och känslor som vissa klienter och deras livsöden väcker...
Äntligen är den nya, helt omreviderade, forskningsöversikten av effekterna av corporate mindfulness på advokater klar. Den kan laddas ner här: www.potentialproject.com/mind-training-in-law-firms/ Det är många kollegor, advokatbyråer och advokater som ligger bakom den...